Chepstow Railway Bridge
From Wye Waltz Wiki
| Chepstow Railway Bridge
|Links:||Chepstow Railway Bridge (Wikipedia)|
Designed by Brunel (Huzzah!) in 1852, the bridge was an unusual design to an unusual site. A large bridge for its day and needing to be very high to clear both shiping and the high tides of the River Wye, it also had to span between a cliff on one side and a low bank on the other. With no foundations to support an arch, Brunel's solution was an iron tubular girder truss.
The bridge lasted successfully for over a hundred years, but was removed in the 1960s to allow a stronger truss to be installed, on the same cast iron pillars. These pillars can still be seen today, just a short walk past the Boat Inn.